Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Kursk Intermission - Fraternity of Wargamers

Is it impossible to do it all yourself? No. But much wouldn't be attempted, reduced by the input of one mind, one set of hands and skills. It would be much less fun, less surprising and lonelier in my opinion. I've nothing against lone players at all and would be one myself if I had no alternative. The following happened in the midst of starting up the current Kursk game and demonstrates to me how much richer my experience is for friends.
Mark sent me a set of Russian 122mm howitzers knowing my shortage (I'm only 4'3") after a discussion of the current and prospective projects we all have on the go towards future games
 Used to plastics, and when I get it wrong with metals used to gluing my palm to my forehead, I swore, stamped, whined, dribbled and finally wept my frustration in not being able to get any results.
 Entre Alan, closely followed by Colin, to wipe my nose and change my nappy.
"Schmatta!?" they cried in unison. It's a word used to truncate the question of what was generally ailing one and causing such frustration.
"Can't make it stick" says I, using a screwdriver to prize my palm off my forehead. Before I knew it the lads were filing, cutting, clamping and generally using their brains and knowledge rather than my method of two buckets of superglue and a paint roller.
 Once the assemblages were dry I painted them up...the easy bit
 Next problem was crew. I need lots of crew so I asked for any ideas on our Whatsapp circle. Mark said to use WW1 Russian artillery crew and Colin said he would put WW2 heads on them. So Mark posted Colin the figures he had and Colin decapitated them and attached aforementioned heads he had in his usual Dr Colinstein manner...
 ...then forwarded them to me for painting and basing. I think you'll agree that the results are really very WW2 ish.
 It's not an isolated occurrence by any means but it has shown me the value, or one of the values, of group thinking and action among friends of the same mindset.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along. I'm sure most folk can recall such instances and it makes the hobby all the better for it.
 On another subject I was asked for a couple of full table shots by Stryker. These were about the best I could do given the extent of space and amount of gear. You really can't see an awful lot of what is going on.
 ...the objective end...
 And as I was wandering around the table this afternoon I took a couple of gratuitous pictures because they appealed to me.
I got a bulk lot of Altaya metal ready made stuff very, very reasonably for stuff that's tricky to build...mainly Flak (like this one) and some artillery about to go over an ASM resin pontoon bridge
 A use for old done kits that have already been ransacked for parts...
 Waiting behind coffee stir...er...reinforced hull down positions
PSC really do a lovely T34...I must try a Zvezda. I use mostly Armourfast T34's but still count on some Airfix and Matchbox types in the order of battle.


Next: Part Six - 'Birds of a feather flock together'...or, 'a stitch in time save nine'...or is it 'don't eat yellow snow'?

9 comments:

  1. Someone so blessed in friends must have something going for them.
    Superglue ... fiendish stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Padre. Mates, as I'm sure you've found, are a special kind of super glue.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic look to all of the various pictures. And I just read about how important the artillery was at Kursk for the Soviets. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC. We must have a similar reading pattern.

      Delete
  3. You've got a great circle of friends.

    It came as no surprise to me, from harsh experience, that superglue was designed to stick skin together originally.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Pete. Sutures rotted and fell apart in the Vietnam jungle so they invented superglue to 'stitch' wounds. I'm very careful with it and keep nail varnish remover nearby which unsticks it....and keeps my nails in tip top condition

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for doing the table shots - what an amazing playing area! I'm really enjoying your battle reports and look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evostick for me if it's not polystyrene - lovely stuff. Can't believe that I've only just come across this battle. It looks superb!

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete